Thursday October 27, 2005

I promise I’m not trying to give only weekly updates to announce that yet another week has passed. But, here’s another one.

Today is four weeks since my surgery and I started eating real food. I know that technically cottage cheese and eggs are real food, but now I can have whatever I want as long as it doesn’t make me sick. I’m not going to try sweets or anything like that any time soon for lots of reasons. Well, I guess I can’t have ANYTHING. I think I have to wait three months (two months now) to have bread. Not sure if that includes tortillas but I don’t care right now because they don’t even sound good.

I’ve been asked a lot already what I had for my first real food. For breakfast I had a cheese stick, for lunch I had reduced fat beef jerky and for lunch I had tilapia. That was my first time to have tilapia and I didn’t care for it. It wasn’t so bad that I will never have it again, but I probably won’t buy it again. I just need to find a way to cook it to where it tastes less like fish.

Work is going ok but the idea of working part time this week is pretty much out the window because I have so much to do. I don’t mind so much though. I’m not getting over tired or anything. It has been kind of a “when it rains it pours” kind of week but that is getting better. I have my car back from the shop and the sewer back up that happened in my apartment complex has been cleaned up. I’m also getting used to getting my vitamins and everything together for each day. I think I just got used to letting my mom do everything that now that I have to do it for myself, I realize how much time it takes!

Just for example, here is my medicine schedule: when I first get up I take my thyroid medicine, 1st dose of antidepressant, my profelactic (sp?) antibiotic and my allergy medicine. I can eat an hour later.

Then sometime mid morning or so I have three calcium chewables and my first multivitamin. 

A couple hours later I have my iron and another multivitamin. At that point I’m usually ready for my second dose of the antidepressant. I usually eat for my second time sometime around this time but I try to eat a little bit earlier.

I eat something when I get home from work then I take my last multivitamin and three calcium chewables around bedtime.

I also have to make sure I drink 64 ounces of fluid during the day and that is something I’m not so good at yet. I can’t drink for thirty minutes before and after I eat. If I drink more than a couple ounces at a time my pouch overfills and it HURTS.

I’m not complaining or anything, just trying to give a slight picture of what the new lifestyle requires. I’m not the most organized person in the world so it’s been interesting!

Well, I’m going to bed tommorrow.


1 comment / Add your comment below

  1. I am so proud of you for taking care of yourself. I have found that doing things for myself can get hard sometimes and I start thinking..I want someone to take care of me! then I realize…oh hey, Lorissa, it’s you!
    A hint on the fish. Super target sells great premade fish and chicken that you can freeze – salmon rolled with rice and chicken marinated etc… Matt will actually eat their fish. I don’t know if you can get to a super target. I’ve just never been happy with the walmart version of fish. Or you might try a health food place and they will tell you how to cook it.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.