This is a delectable, light, and less unhealthy dessert that tastes great all year but is especially yummy in the summer. We used to make it a lot for Fourth of July using blueberries and strawberries but it’s excellent for any gathering any time.
What you need:
- A store-bought angel food cake (if you get sugar-free, I suggest strawberry with complementary fruit)
- A large container of Cool Whip-style whipped cream
- 2 serving-size containers of yogurt (I use no sugar added). The yogurt needs to correspond with your fruit flavor. If you use more than one kind of fruit, have matching 1 container of corresponding yogurt (if you use strawberries and blueberries, have one of each flavor of yogurt)
- Fresh fruit (about a cup or two of each flavor…sorry, I eyeball it). I suggest berries or peaches, etc, not fruit such as cantaloupe
- A trifle dish like what you see in the picture (doesn’t have to be on a pedestal though)
How to make this fantastic healthy dessert:
- Tear the angel food cake in half so that there’s two complete rings (top and bottom)
- Place the bottom of the angel food cake in the bottom of the trifle dish
- Pour one container of the yogurt over the cake
- Cover the yogurt with cut up pieces of corresponding fruit to create a single layer
- Cover the fruit with Cool Whip
- Repeat that process with the top layer or angel food cake…place the cake on the Cool Whip, then the yogurt, then the fruit then a thick layer of Cool Whip for the top
- Garnish with fruit.
The most popular version of this is just strawberries but we also enjoy the strawberry/blueberry combo or peach. What flavors do you want to try?